Monday 14 March 2011

Your mum will hate this post!

I would like to start this off quickly by letting you into some background info, I suck at spelling and for some reason the spellcheck on this software wasn't working today so there are a few mistakes here and there. Having said that I hope you still enjoy this and if you do want to moan at me about any mistakes then feel free, all feedback is welcome.. right on with the show.

Those of you in the know will understand the title of this post when I say its about Dead Space 2 but for those of you not as mad into games as some of us allow me to explain. Dead space 1 is a horror game, strangely enough set in space. You control a regular guy, not a tough army guy or some sort of space marine but someone who welds things together for a living. You go to a ship to answer a distress call and end up getting attacked by monsters with very large, long limbs... have a guess where you have to shoot them to kill them. If you said the head then read the last sentance again... honestly some people. Anyway it will come as no surprise to learn that you survive the attack and live to fight another day, hence the fact they made a sequal. 

Dead Space 2 is also a horror game and is also set in space. The ads in america involved showing a tonne of Dead Space 2 footage to a load of mothers (or actresses paid to act like mothers, i'm not sure) and filming their reactions. The main tag lines of these ads are "Your mom will hate this game" or something close to it anyhow and were intended to show how horrific and gross the game is, i'm assuming in order to make people want it more. Now i cant say the game isn't gory because it is, and some areas are fairly disturbing, one area even more so if you have kids, but I just didn't find this game scary really. I jumped exactly twice during this game, and one of those times was during the demo so when I got round to playing the actual thing I knew it was coming. So I should really say the game itself actually only made me jump once, and it didn't even involve any monsters, just a small area and a whole butt load of steam suddenly bursting out of nowhere. Now I don't know if that says more about me or the game, after all I grew up on games and films involving plenty of blood and guts so maybe i'm just desensitised and the game genuinly is scary but personally I have been scared more walking home from work late at night then by playing this game. 

After you have read all that you must think I don't like this game but nothing could be further from the truth, I couldn't stop playing the game and as soon as I finished it I started it again right away so I could go through it again on a tougher setting. I was totally absorbed by the story and loved the gameplay to peices, upgrading your armor and weapons means your constantly searching areas for every scrap of ammo, money or power nodes that you can find. I guess really what i'm saying is you have a great game here E.A but maybe you should try some better marketing next time rather than going for shock tactics.

Anyway thats all from me for now, let me know what you thought about this or tell me if you want me to cover anything in the future by e,mailing me at deejaypeeblog@gmail.com. 
Happy gaming.


1 comment: